Fort Hunt Youth Lacrosse’s goal is to provide the best possible opportunity for our youth to have fun, learn some valuable life lessons, increase their fitness, and strive to win at this historical North American sport.
Lacrosse, considered America’s first sport, was born of the North American Indian, christened by the French, and adapted and raised by the Canadians. Modern lacrosse has been embraced by athletes and enthusiasts of the United States and the British Commonwealth for over a century.
The sport of lacrosse is a combination of basketball, soccer and hockey. Anyone can play lacrosse--the big or the small. The game requires and rewards coordination and agility, not brawn. - US Lacrosse.
FHYL serves girls and boys in elementary and middle schools who reside in the Fairfax County portion of Alexandria, Virginia (including Fort Belvoir).
Discounts at Lacrosse Unlimited (Feb 18-19) & Dick's (Feb 25
Lacrosse Unlimited Alexandria 15% Discount Weekends for FHYL
When (TBD): Saturday-Sunday, February 18-19 and possibly March 4-5 (TBD).
Where: Lacrosse Unlimited Alexandria in nearby Bradlee Shopping Ct, 3618 King St, Alexandria, VA 22152 – (703) 931-5299.
What: 15% off entire purchase in store.Download coupon with barcode (print hardcopy or show smartphone) and receive 15% off your entire purchase. Starter packages are available. This offer does not apply to special orders, previous purchases, gift cards, and cannot be combined with other offers or redeemed for cash.
Cascade R helmet team order: Lacrosse Unlimited in NY will open Fort Hunt online team store to order the popular Cascade R adjustable helmet customized in forest green, athletic gold, and chrome facemask. to pre-order and be added to the pre-order list. Usually retailing for $260, we negotiated a $110 discount charging instead $150 + tax/shipping. The Cascade R is a "one size fits most" helmet with several adjustment points including a ratchet headband and should fit HS, 14U, 12U, and most 10U players (formerly U15, U13, U11). Fort Hunt already loans smaller youth sized helmets to U9 house players. This club helmet sale is a great opportunity for U11 players to return loaned helmets and allow more new players to learn lacrosse. If your child has a small head, then first try on a Cascade R at Lacrosse Unlimited in Bradlee Shopping Ctr. Stay tuned for for announcement when LU opens FH online team store.
What: Roughly 150 on-field demonstrations, clinics and educational sessions to help you coach better, officiate better, and lead better. The convention is the premier professional development event for coaches and officials, featuring on-field demonstrations, clinics and educational sessions conducted by the top minds in the sport. Join your colleagues for a weekend of learning, networking and renewal, as US Lacrosse helps you to "Raise Your Game" in your local community. 7,200 attendees make the convention the largest gathering of the lacrosse community at a non-field event each year. Major League Lacrosse hold its collegiate draft on Friday night. Youth can attend the Fan Fest all day Saturday.
Families can attend Fan Fest, which is open to the public of all ages and features the latest in lacrosse gear, uniforms and swag from 150 exhibitors in the sport’s largest expo hall, plus demonstrations and autographs from members of Team USA and other top players in the game. Join the lacrosse community from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 21, in the Baltimore Convention Center 100 Level. Ticketed access to expo hall and demonstration fields only. Prices: $10 online (ends Jan. 17), $15 walk-up. During past Fan Fests, walk-ups saved $5 by wearing a lacrosse jersey. Kids under 6 are Free. Details on Fan Fest page.
Who: Lacrosse coaches, officials, and administrators ages 16-plus (membership in US Lacrosse through Jan 31 required to register).
When: Jan 20-22, 2015.
Where: Baltimore Convention Center for the third year in a row. Convention moves to Philly and Boston for next couple years.
Lodging: Once you register, be sure to take advantage of discounts for convention attendees by reserving your room at the adjacent Hilton Baltimore before Dec. 22. Market pricing takes effect thereafter.
And a reminder that the convention registration fee includes complimentary access to all audio, video and PowerPoint files from the 150 educational sessions at the convention for one year, meaning you can "attend" sessions you miss in-person from the comfort of your home. These files are typically ready about three weeks after the convention.
Speakers: Coaches will enjoy educational sessions hosted by many of the sport's best coaches, including Mike Daly (Brown), Kathy Reese (Maryland), Ricky Fried (Georgetown/Team USA), Janine Tucker (Johns Hopkins), Paul Rabil (Team USA), Team USA Women & Men, Greg Gurenlian (NY Lizards, Team USA), Greg Gurenlin (NY Lizards), Steele Stanwick (Johns Hopkins), Taylor Cummings (Under Armour), Matt Hogan (HoganLax), Tim Puls (Stevenson), and more.
Instructional clinics: Men’s & Women’s Level 1, 2 & 3 on Jan 20.
The 1-2-3s of getting ready for our girls spring lacrosse season . . .
1. REGISTER your 3rd-8th grade daughter(s) at http://www.forthuntlax.org. Please read carefully through all directions as you navigate the process. If you have forgotten your password, just type in your email address and hit enter; you will be redirected to a page to reset your password. Please do not create a new account if you already have one! US Lacrosse membership valid through June 2017 is required prior to registration.
2. ATTEND THE OPTIONAL FORT HUNT LAX TUNE-UP CLINICS for 3rd-8th graders on Saturday, January 14 and January 21, 2017, from 12:30-2pm at Sandburg MS (weather permitting). *ONLY 3rd-8th grade players registered for the 2017 spring season will be allowed to participate in these sessions due to insurance requirements. Bring a pinnie with you to the clinic, please. We will have a few extras on-site for new players to borrow.
3. EVALUATIONS* for registered players in grades 3-8 will be held on Sunday, January 29, 2017, at the indoor turf facility at South Run RECenter (7550 Reservation Drive, Springfield, VA 22153) at the following times:
*Additional details regarding evaluations will be provided at a later date, but please pencil in this info on your calendars now. Due to facility scheduling and space, we will be encouraging carpooling and efficiency to get all attendees evaluated during our allotted turf time.
*All players registered will be placed on a team. We encourage all players to attend evaluations, girls interested in trying out for an "A" team spot must attend an evaluation session in order to be considered. We intend to have teams at the A, Upper B and Lower B levels.
If you have any questions or are interested in volunteering as a coach or assistant coach, please email email@example.com.
Please use these instructions to register your player(s) for boys and/or girls lacrosse. Be sure to use the Forgot Password feature instead of creating a new account. Parents of boys should use the new US Lacrosse age verification system... uploading cert/ID via web form is secure, easy, and very quick.
1. REGISTRATION: Register your son and/or daughter for the 2017 Spring season. You must confirm that US Lacrosse membership is current through June 2017, then register online at www.FortHuntLax.org. We anticipate an increased number of registrants this season, so register early:
Confirm/Renew US Lacrosse Membership: Pay $30 for youth lacrosse player insurance by going to www.USLacrosse.org > Click on JOIN/RENEW > Search for existing membership. Record your player's Member ID #.
Boy's only: Verify player's age using the new US Lacrosse age verification system.
Why: To ensure that players are grouped appropriately to keep players safe and to help make competition fair.
Scan or photograph your player's birth certificate or state-issued ID.
USL will review your documentation, record the birth date in their system and then permanently delete your uploaded document.
You'll receive a confirmation email, and you’re done. This is a one-time process that is good for the lifetime of your child’s membership.
Secure and Easy To Use: The new USL age verification system is secure and easy to use. Age verification uses SSL technology, the standard for transmitting sensitive information online.
Register and Pay Online:www.FortHuntLax.org > Click on red & white REGISTER NOW at top right > select program (Boy’s or Girl’s) and appropriate grade/age division and Begin Registration > If during Sign In, you’re unsure of your password... instead of creating a new duplicate member account, please enter your e-mail only to receive password reset instructions. Sign In and Continue > Edit Child’s existing registration. Update personal biographical info on Member Information page. Suggest adding cell phone service provider next to cell number to receive SMS text message reminders for games/practices.
$150 girls registration fee for 1st-8th grades (includes $8 county field use fee).
$40 girls new uniform fee if needed ($10 for G1/2 pinnie).
$195 boys registration fee for 14U-8U -- formerly U15-U9 (includes shorts, game jersey loan, equipment loan for 8U, $8 county field use fee, etc.).
$75 boys & girls registration fee for scoopers.
$50 volunteer opt-out fee.
- $25 discount for 2nd, 3rd, etc. lacrosse player in the family.
Register for winter lacrosse program opportunities
Happy New Year!
Save the date -- January 29: Player evaluations for 3rd through 8th graders are scheduled for Sunday, January 29 from 5-8pm at South Run Rec Center indoor turf.
Should your player wish to prepare for evaluations... the Alexandria area offers several winter lacrosse programs coached by college or HS coaches/players.
Elevation Lacrosse winter program hosted by Fort Hunt Youth Lacrosse for girls in grades 5 through 8 on Sunday early afternoons in January. - Elevation Director Erin Hellmold along with current college coaches and current/former college players will coach girls.
- Fort Hunt Youth Lacrosse hosts the winter program using Carl Sandburg MS turf.
- $70 for min up to 3 sessions between 12:30-2:00pm on Sunday afternoons, January 8, 15 and 22. Sessions are dependent on fair weather (e.g. session canceled due to snow or freezing rain). If weather cooperates, then attend all sessions.
- Register online at www.ElevationLax.org/registration > Register Now.
Bishop Ireton HS winter indoor lacrosse clinic for girls in grades 5 through 8.
- BI Coach Rick Sofield hosts a girl's indoor lacrosse clinic on Sunday mornings, 8:30-10:00am, between December 4 and February 19 at Godley gym, BIHS. Excludes December 25 and January 1.
- $250 for 10 sessions. - Download and complete the consent form including US Lacrosse Membership number.
Elevation Lacrosse winter group training for athletic performance and/or lacrosse skills for girls and boys in grades 5-12 starting Saturday afternoon, January 7.
- Certified Trainer/Coach Kenny Carrington offers three sessions per week (Mon, Fri, Sat) from January 2 through March 25 near Fort Hunt Park and West Potomac HS.
- Youth (grades 5-8): $220 (one youth lacrosse skills session with stick on Saturdays), $340 (two athletic performance sessions on Mon & Fri), or $440 (both – 3 sessions/wk). - High School (grades 9-12): $280 (one youth lacrosse skills session with stick on Saturdays), $420 (two athletic performance sessions on Mon & Fri), or $540 (both – 3 sessions/wk).
- Flexible schedule: Select up to 75% sessions between January and March.
- Register online at www.ElevationLax.org/registration > Register Now.
Fort Hunt Youth Lacrosse will host free frostbite "tune-up" clinics for registered girls early Saturday afternoons on January 14 & 21. Details will be announced only to girls with registration completed for spring 2017 recreation season.
Crash/SCAA winter outdoor FrostFest lacrosse clinic for girls in grades 5 through 6.
- Six winter sessions outdoors on Sunday mornings in January (8, 15, 22, 29) and February (5, 12) at South County HS.
- $100 for 6 sessions, weather dependent. Rain makeup on February 19. - Download flyer with registration link.
Key dates for spring 2016 season:
Mon, Jan 16: Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Fri, Jan 20: USL CEP Men & Women Levels 1, 2 & 3 Instructional Clinics @ Baltimore, MD.
Fri-Sun, Jan 20-22: US Lacrosse Convention and Fan Fest @ Baltimore, MD.
Sat, Jan 21: FHYL girls frostbite clinic for registered players in 3rd-8th grades w/current US Lacrosse membership/insurance.
TBD: Coaching forum by area HS girl's coaches @ Sherwood Hall Library.
Jan 28: Maryland Men's Lacrosse Coaches Clinic & Scrimmages @ Byrd Stadium.
Sun, Jan 29: FHYL girls player evaluations @ South Run Indoor Fieldhouse for G7/8, G5/6, G3/4.
Sat, Feb 4: USL CEP Men & Women Level 1 Instructional Clinics @ Leonardtown, MD.
Sun, Feb 5: Super Bowl 50.
Sat, Feb 11: FHYL boys player evaluations @ Sandburg MD Turf Field for Boys 14U, 12U, 10U. TBD: Girls lacrosse clinic by USL & JMU Women's lacrosse team @ EHS.
Wed, Feb 15: Team number/matrix due to NVYLL.
Sun, Feb 19: USL CEP Men Level 1 Instructional Clinic @ Front Royal, VA.
Sun, Feb 19: USL CEP Men & Women Level 2 Instructional Clinics @ Bethesda, MD.
Feb 25: FHYL 20% discount @ Dick's Sporting Goods, Springfield Town Ctr.
Mon, Feb 20: Birthday of George Washington.
Sun, Feb 26: NVYLL mandatory coaches meeting, rules interpretation, and clinic @ Marymount U.
TBD: FHYL discount @ Lacrosse Unlimited, Bradlee Shopping Ctr.
Sun, Mar 12: DST Spring Ahead (later sunset means teams can start practicing on grass w/out lights).
TBD: Lacrosse scrimmages.
Fri-Mon, Mar 17-27: SSSAS spring vacation.
Sat-Mon, Apr 8-17: FCPS spring break.
Fri-Sun, Apr 14-23: Catholic schools Easter holidays.
Mar 25-26: First NVYLL games. Eight league games through May 21 excluding Easter.
May 30 - June 11: League playoffs.
Class of 2017 Fort Hunt Lacrosse Alumni College Commits
Fort Hunt Girls Lacrosse proudly congratulates the following young women (and their families) on their recent or future signings of NCAA National Lettersof Intent to play at their respective colleges and universities. We are very fortunate to have been able to watch these players develop through our Fort Hunt Lacrosse recreational league and well-respected local high school programs. We also thank all their coaches, parents and teammates for supporting their journey. Good luck, ladies! We look forward to watching you play at the next level.
Kate Carney (Bishop Ireton HS) - University of Cincinnati