Fort Hunt Youth Lacrosse’s goal is to provide the best possible opportunity for our youth to have fun, learn some valuable life lessons, increase their fitness, and strive to win at this historical North American sport.
Lacrosse, considered America’s first sport, was born of the North American Indian, christened by the French, and adapted and raised by the Canadians. Modern lacrosse has been embraced by athletes and enthusiasts if the United States and the British Commonwealth for over a century.
The sport of lacrosse is a combination of basketball, soccer and hockey. Anyone can play lacrosse--the big or the small. The game requires and rewards coordination and agility, not brawn. - US Lacrosse.
FHYL serves girls and boys in elementary and middle schools who reside in the Fairfax County portion of Alexandria, Virginia (including Fort Belvoir).
1. REGISTRATION: Register your daughter(s) for the 2017 Spring season. You must confirm that US Lacrosse membership is current through June 2017, then register online at Fort Hunt Lax web site. We anticipate an increased number of registrants this season, so register early:
Confirm/Renew US Lacrosse Membership: Pay $30 for youth lacrosse player insurance by going to www.USLacrosse.org > Click on red button JOIN/RENEW NOW > Search for existing membership. Record your player's Member ID #.
Register and Pay Online: www.FortHuntLax.org > Click on red & white REGISTER NOW at top right > select program (Boy’s or Girl’s) and appropriate age/grade division and Begin Registration > If during Sign In, you’re unsure of your password... instead of creating a new duplicate member account, please enter your e-mail only to receive password reset instructions. Sign In and Continue > Edit Child’s existing registration. Update personal biographical info on Member Information page. Suggest adding cell phone service provider next to cell number to receive SMS text message reminders for games/practices.
Fees: $150 registration fee per girl. Plus $40 new uniform fee (if needed). Plus $50 volunteer opt-out fee. Minus $25 discount for 2nd, 3rd, etc. lacrosse player in the family. Scoopers registration fee is $75.
2. UNIFORMS: Starting in spring 2016, Fort Hunt Girls’ Lacrosse no longer issues loaner uniforms to each player. Players now purchase their own uniform during registration personalized with player's last name. The new green/gold Fort Hunt sublimated uniform includes reversible jersey with player’s name on the back, be yours to keep and, ideally, we hope they get at least 2 years of use out of them. Heather Condon, our Uniform Coordinator, has been working very hard on the development and design of these uniforms, and plans to get a sample picture of the new uniform out soon.
In an effort to alleviate the initial costs to new players having to purchase uniforms, Fort Hunt Lacrosse will continue to subsidize a third of the cost of each uniform, while lowering the player registration fee. For spring 2016 season, the player registration fee remains $150 (same as 2016) for girls in grades 3-8, and the uniform cost per player will be $40 if purchased during initial registration. The non-subsidized uniform fee is $60 when purchased at a later date. Please note that Fort Hunt has historically been very competitive with registration fees compared to other NVYLL rec programs. Our goal was to minimize any increase in the cost to play this season, while also transitioning to the player-owned uniform system. Thus, the cost to play in the 2016 spring season WITH your very own uniform will be the same as it was the past few years - $175. Sibling discounts will apply as usual.
3. COACHES NEEDED!
If you have coached in the past, we’d love to have you back this season. for Girls please email FHgirlslax@gmail.com and indicate if you would prefer to be a head or assistant coach and which grade level (3/4, 5/6 or 7/8). We will put you on the list and in the next couple of weeks, you will get an email from Diana McClanahan, Fort Hunt Lacrosse Coaches Coordinator, with information about evaluation dates, team formation and coaching clinics, etc.
if you have never coached lacrosse before, consider diving in this year. The vast majority of our coaches have never played lacrosse, but we’ve found that due to the similarities with other sports (soccer, basketball, hockey, for example), parents can quickly pick up on lacrosse.
We will be offering Fort Hunt coaching clinics as well as online coaching tools through the Fort Hunt lax website, plus similar support through U.S. Lacrosse. In addition, first time coaches will generally be assistant coaches and paired with experienced coaches to help mentoring. Lack of experience is definitely NOT a barrier to signing up!
For many years now, Fort Hunt girls lacrosse has been the most successful club in Northern Virginia. A key ingredient in our success has been the willingness of so many parents to step forward and volunteer their time and energy to coaching our girls. Not only is it essential to have good coaches, it is an extraordinarily rewarding experience for the parent and family.
Follow us on Facebook (Fort Hunt Youth Lacrosse) and Twitter: @forthuntlax
Key dates for spring 2016 season:
Sat, Jan 14: FHYL girls frostbite clinic for registered players in 3rd-8th grades w/current US Lacrosse membership/insurance.
Mon, Jan 16: Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Fri, Jan 20: USL CEP Men & Women Levels 1, 2 & 3 Instructional Clinics @ Baltimore, MD.
Fri-Sun, Jan 20-22: US Lacrosse Convention and Fan Fest @ Baltimore, MD.
Sat, Jan 21: FHYL girls frostbite clinic for registered players in 3rd-8th grades w/current US Lacrosse membership/insurance.
TBD: Coaching forum by area HS girl's coaches @ Sherwood Hall Library.
Sun, Jan 29: FHYL girls player evaluations @ South Run Indoor Fieldhouse for G7/8, G5/6, G3/4.
Sat, Feb 4: USL CEP Men & Women Level 1 Instructional Clinics @ Leonardtown, MD.
Sun, Feb 19: USL CEP Men Level 1 Instructional Clinic @ Front Royal, VA.
Sun, Feb 19: USL CEP Men & Women Level 2 Instructional Clinics @ Bethesda, MD.
TBD: FHYL 20% discount @ Dick's Sporting Goods, Springfield Town Ctr.
Thur, Feb 2: FHYL online registration closes (order uniforms as needed).
Sun, Feb 5: Super Bowl 50.
TBD: Maryland Men’s Lacrosse Coaches Clinic & Scrimmages @ Byrd Stadium.
TBD: Girls lacrosse clinic by USL & JMU Women's lacrosse team @ EHS.
Mon, Feb 20: Birthday of George Washington.
TBD: NVYLL mandatory coaches meeting, rules interpretation, and clinic @ Marymount U.
TBD: FHYL discount @ Lacrosse Unlimited, Bradlee Shopping Ctr.
Sun, Mar 12: DST Spring Ahead (later sunset means teams can start practicing on grass w/out lights).
TBD: Lacrosse scrimmages.
Fri-Mon, Mar 17-27: SSSAS spring vacation.
Sat-Mon, Apr 8-17: FCPS spring break.
Fri-Sun, Apr 14-23: Catholic schools Easter holidays.
Mar 25-26: First NVYLL games. Eight league games through May 21 excluding Easter.
May 30 - June 11: League playoffs.
Register for winter lacrosse program opportunities
The Alexandria area offers several winter lacrosse programs coached by college or HS coaches/players.
Elevation Lacrosse winter program hosted by Fort Hunt Youth Lacrosse for girls in grades 5 through 8 starting Sunday, December 11. - Elevation Director Erin Hellmold along with current college coaches and current/former college players will coach girls on Sunday early afternoons in December and January.
- Fort Hunt Youth Lacrosse hosts the winter program using Carl Sandburg MS turf.
- $70 for min 3 out of 5 sessions between 12:30-2:00pm on Sunday afternoons in December (11 & 18) and January (8, 15, 22). Sessions are dependent on fair weather (e.g. session canceled due to snow or rain). If weather cooperates, then attend all 5 sessions.
- Register online at www.ElevationLax.org/registration > Register Now.
Bishop Ireton HS winter indoor lacrosse clinic for girls in grades 5 through 8.
- BI Coach Rick Sofield hosts a girl's indoor lacrosse clinic on Sunday mornings, 8:30-10:00am, between December 4 and February 19 at Godley gym, BIHS. Excludes December 25 and January 1.
- $250 for 10 sessions. - Download and complete the consent form including US Lacrosse Membership number.
Elevation Lacrosse winter group training for athletic performance and/or lacrosse skills for girls and boys in grades 5-12 starting Monday, January 2.
- Certified Trainer/Coach Kenny Carrington offers three sessions per week (Mon, Fri, Sat) from January 2 through March 25 near Fort Hunt Park and West Potomac HS.
- Youth (grades 5-8): $220 (one youth lacrosse skills session on Saturdays), $340 (two athletic performance sessions on Mon & Fri), or $440 (both – 3 sessions/wk). - High School (grades 9-12): $280 (one youth lacrosse skills session on Saturdays), $420 (two athletic performance sessions on Mon & Fri), or $540 (both – 3 sessions/wk).
- Flexible schedule: Select up to 75% sessions between January and March.
- Register online at www.ElevationLax.org/registration > Register Now.
Fort Hunt Youth Lacrosse will host free frostbite "tune-up" clinics for registered girls early Saturday afternoons on January 14 & 21.
- Details will be announced only to girls with registration completed for Spring 2017 recreation season.
Crash/SCAA winter outdoor FrostFest lacrosse clinic for girls in grades 5 through 6.
- Six winter sessions outdoors on Sunday mornings in January (8, 15, 22, 29) and February (5, 12) at South County HS.
- $100 for 6 sessions, weather dependent. Rain makeup on February 19. - Download flyer with registration link.
Class of 2017 Fort Hunt Lacrosse Alumni College Commits
Fort Hunt Girls Lacrosse proudly congratulates the following young women (and their families) on their recent or future signings of NCAA National Lettersof Intent to play at their respective colleges and universities. We are very fortunate to have been able to watch these players develop through our Fort Hunt Lacrosse recreational league and well-respected local high school programs. We also thank all their coaches, parents and teammates for supporting their journey. Good luck, ladies! We look forward to watching you play at the next level.
Kate Carney (Bishop Ireton HS) - University of Cincinnati